A couple nights ago I started writing a science-fiction short story that I’ve been running around in my head for almost a year now. It’s passed 2000 words so far, and seems to be going pretty well. I seem to have found “the zone” where the writing goes smoothly and I can really feel the characters. This one is going to have a lot of drama, lots of screaming and crying, some action and suspense, but no violence and no cursing. I like to switch it up sometimes.
Yet another female protagonist. I honestly don’t know why the majority of my fiction is from the female perspective. The stories just always seem to work better.
The other thing I’m currently working on is version 3.0 of Kalin’s PDF Creation Station, my most popular WordPress plugin. I’m hoping with this release to clear up the majority of the feature requests that people have made. My intent is to be regarded as the best of the WordPress PDF plugins.
I’ve already added a bunch of features, which are now available if you have SVN access and download the beta version from the branches folder of this repository: http://plugins.svn.wordpress.org/kalins-pdf-creation-station/
Here’s the list of features already completed and currently in testing:
- upgraded TCPDF engine. This should improve image handling and also fixes the blockquotes issue, so blockquotes no longer need to use a monospaced font
- added option to automatically construct a Table of Contents page in the creator tool
- added post_meta shortcode for post’s custom fields
- added option on Tool page to turn off automatic page breaks between posts
- added ability for hackers to translate/change the word ‘page’ to whatever they want
- added option to run other plugin content filters
- added post category(s) shortcode
- added post tags shortcode
- added option to convert Vimeo videos (works for both object and iframe style embeds)
- added Ted Talk video link conversion option
- YouTube link conversion now works for iframe style embeds as well as objects
- added ability for hackers to change the order of the post list on the tool page
- added post comments shortcode. Includes easy way for PHP coders to fully customize the display
I was unable to figure out how to extract a Hulu video link out of their embed code since the links don’t utilize the video ID as they do for YouTube, Vimeo and TED, so I couldn’t do a Hulu embed link conversion. If you have any idea how to do this, please let me know. Also, if you know of other video providers I’ve missed, let me know.
My plan is to add a page parent shortcode, perhaps a couple other details, then release version 3.0 sometime next week. After that, I’ll move on to version 3.0 of Post List.